banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Kyle.

pro-choice, ftw.

Thanks

Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Sum View Post
    If she has freedom of expression to have an abortion then people must also have freedom of expression to dislike/ignore her because of it. Either that's very hypocritical or you haven't thought it through.

Know what genuinely intrigues me? The amount of people who voted that abortion should be allowed in certain circumstances. I really think it's the case that most of you guys haven't thought this through fully: abortion is either murder or it is not murder. If it is murder, then it doesn't become justified just because it increases the health or mental state of women; it doesn't become justified if the pregnancy is caused by rape or incest; it doesn't become justified because the embryo is a parasite. If it is not murder, then what do the circumstances matter? No wrong is being done anyway.

You can't cowardly take the neutral middle-ground this way I'm afraid, ladies and gentlemen: either abortion is murder or it is not. I would be interested to hear a valid argument for why abortion is acceptable in any circumstances if it is murder, or why it is unacceptable in any circumstances if it isn't murder.

Personally, I don't know. I've long since rejected the claims that it is murder to kill human cells, or murder to destroy the potential for life. The issue I have is that, at some point, an embryo clearly does "become" a baby, and perceptions of that point vary massively. Up to that point, I see no reason why abortion shouldn't be allowed, but I'm afraid that I have no idea where that point is.

Oh, and we all know (or rather should know) that it is perfectly possible to become pregnant even if we're on a couple of different contraceptives. The fact of that matter is that sex produces babies, and so a pregnancy should never come as a complete surprise (unless you're not sexually active and your other half's been wanking in the bath and you share bathwater, I suppose). So, simply saying "shoulda used a johnny" is not appropriate and, given the possible outcome, consent to sex essentially implies a willingless to become pregnant.
    Disliking or ignoring is completely different than branding her a murderer and harassing or verbally abusing her over it which is what I had to go through when I had an abortion.

Disliking and ignoring?Cool, great. Let me know who my real friends are.

Harassing and verbally abusing me for it? Not okay;illegal actually.
    The rest of your post I agree with up until the last bolded part.
    I'm happily married.
    I consent to sex often.
    This doesn't mean I am willing to get or stay pregnant, hence using protection.

My Mood
    Balanced
    Thanks

Country
    Black-private

I am a Christian in terms of religions. So I should go with the flow and say that I am for a pro-life option like all other Christians say without even thinking about it.

Now I am not a religions fanatic even though I sometimes attend the mass in the local church and talk to the God through my prayers.

But my personal ethics and morals somehow tell me that a mother in question is the one who should decide on it and others should piss off. There are probably more factors involved in a poor mother's predicament but my gut feeling says that it's her private matters and it should stay that way.

I don't even like when a neighbor is looking over the fence, let alone sticking his nose in my poor sexual life.
    Last edited by Parker; 16-12-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The world's biggest power is the (youth and) beauty of a woman.