...I got a phone call Friday from our vet (a month to the day we lost Murphy). Someone brought in a beagle that had been hit by a car. They didn't want to pay to get her fixed up and asked to put her down. The vet refused and ask he surrender her to the hospital. He did. She has road rash on her belly, some spots that were stitched up, and two broken bones in her foot. She is about a year old, 13 inches high, and 16 lbs.

She meets Summer tonight night and if all goes well, comes home tomorrow night.

We are naming her Kali.

Her history as it was put to me:

She was bought as a pup at a pet store by a single mother. She couldn't take care of her and gave her to a family that said they could. On Friday, the owner's kids said their dog had got out and was hurt. The father brought her to the vet hospital we use and was rushed into emergency. When he was told an estimate of the cost, he said that the dog didn't cost him anything to get, why should he pay anything to keep her? He said to put her down. The vet refused and said she would take custody and pay for her medical costs if he would sign her over. After her signed the papers and left, she was given a full going over. No life threatening injuries were found. All the vet techs and doctors said only one name came to mind for a new home... OURS! The phone call to me came 90 minutes after she arrived. The rest will soon be history.