Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
banner
    Gold Member

Thanks

Country
    Australia

Default What Makes You Depressed?

-------------
    The symptoms of depression can be debilitating.
    The more impact the chronic illness, the more intense the depression.
    Abuse during childhood leaves an emotional scar even until adulthood.
    When depressed, it's helpful to seek social interaction.
    The level of hormones in the brain can affect moods and emotions.
    -------------

What Makes You Depressed:

According to the National Institute of Mental Health, major depressive disorder affects about 6.7 percent of the U.S. population over the age of eighteen. Symptoms of depression include suicidal thoughts, guilt, loss of energy and trouble making decisions. There are several factors that can influence the development of depression.

Chronic Illness
    The Health Information Center at the Cleveland Clinic reports that one-third of patients with a chronic illness experience depression. Depression is the most common in people who suffer from heart attack, Parkinson's disease and Multiple sclerosis. The constant pain, isolation and lack of freedom can be a heavy burden

Abuse
    Abuse takes a huge toll on a person's mental and emotional well-being. The study published in 2007 by "Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry" by Anat Brunstein Klomek et al on 2,342 high school students revealed that students that were frequently bullied reported depression rates of thirty percent. The aftermath of child abuse and rape can also result in depression.

Loneliness
    Humans are social animals, therefore the lack of positive interaction with others can lead to depression. Situations such as the death of a loved one or moving increases the likelihood of experiencing intense isolation. The pain of being separated from your source of support or experiencing rejection can be too much to bear.

Biological
    A family history of depression increases the likelihood of future generations to experience depression. According the Stanford University School of Medicine, there is a forty to fifty percent chance of inheriting depression. Recent research reveals that the genetic makeup of a person affects the different levels absorption of serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain.

If you feel you can add to this information/article or has helped you in someway please post below more information or comment to this thread.

V.I.P Member

My Mood
    Asleep
    Thanks

Country
    Australia

Betrayal from someone who should treat me better really. I'm loyal and honest, I hate when ppl who are supposed to love me treat me like I'm 2nd class