Would you rob a bank for $1?

The question may sound idiotic but for one man in North Carolina the idea made complete sense. Two weeks ago, James Verone made national headlines after he held-up a bank in Gaston County for one dollar and proceeded to sit on the floor until police arrived.

Why you may ask?

Verone does not have medical insurance and his “logical” plan meant that by purposely getting in trouble with the law would result in prison time and the necessary medical insurance to seek help for a growth on his chest, two ruptured disks and a problem with his left foot. Jobless and nearly 60 years-old, the voluntary choice to go to prison appeared to make the most sense.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Some have labeled James Verone a clever man capable of exposing the faults in our nation’s healthcare while others have bashed Verone for manipulating the system.

Verone, in response, admits that his story is unusual but that he has no regrets. He said, “If it is called manipulation, then out of necessity because I need medical care then I guess I am manipulating the courts to get medical care.”

The 59 year-old is currently in jail and hoping for a three year sentence. However, because he only demanded one dollar during the robbery police have only charged Verone with larceny which means that he might not get as much time as he was hoping for.

Thoughts?

(I got this from another site.)