Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member

Thanks

Country
    Australia

Uhoh anyone have problems with blackberrys freezing?

lately my blackberry has been freezing, like push buttons and it does nothing, had to take the battery out and re-boot and it comes back fine. but yet its happening again today, so annoying as my phone is soooo cool. anyone else with any problems or heard of similar problems?

Forums Admin

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Thanks

Country
    UK

Blackberry problems spread to US

RIM UK managing director Stephen Bates: "Engineers are working around the clock to fix the problem"
    Continue reading the main story
    Related Stories
    Will Blackberry crumble?
    Blackberry's message goes missing
    Can the iPhone still scare rivals?
    Problems with the Blackberry smartphone system appear have to spread to the United States.

Users began to report loss of services on Wednesday, with many turning to Twitter to complain about their lack of email.

The latest development follows two days of sporadic blackouts across Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

Blackberry's owner, RIM, blamed the latest outages on a backlog of emails to Europe from Asia and the Americas.

"It is a backlog issue," RIM software vice president David Yach told a press conference in Ottawa, Canada.

"Clearly we have a backlog in Europe... as you can imagine, with the global reach of Blackberry and people using it to contact others around the world, there's a lot of messages to Europe from Asia and the Americas.

"Over time that backlog has built up and affected our other systems."

As news of the failure in the US spread, one user tweeted: "What is the status here in the USA? I am in New York and there seems to be no email service."

Another, who lives in Texas, wrote: "My #blackberry is not working! I can dial out that's it. What's up?".

'Data backlog'

Blackberry had earlier declared services to be "operating normally", only to be contradicted by frustrated users.

Many called on the phone firm to "sort out" the problems and get the network running again.

RIM acknowledged that it was still experiencing problems and apologised for the inconvenience.

"The messaging and browsing delays... in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, India, Brazil, Chile and Argentina were caused by a core switch failure within RIM's infrastructure," a company statement said.

"Although the system is designed to failover to a back-up switch, the failover did not function as previously tested.

"As a result, a large backlog of data was generated and we are now working to clear that backlog and restore normal service as quickly as possible."

The blackouts have left millions of users without email, web browsing and Blackberry Messaging (BBM) services.

The cause is believed to be due to server problems at RIM's UK data centre in Slough.

Blackberry users around the world began reporting problems with their handsets mid-morning on 10 October and at 14:42 BST, Blackberry UK sent out a tweet which said: "Some users in EMEA are experiencing issues."

The "issues" left many Blackberry owners only able to text and make calls.

'Harsh criticism'

Many corporate customers said they had not lost service, suggesting that the problem was with Blackberry's BIS consumer systems, rather than its BES enterprise systems.

BBC's Rory Cellan-Jones: "Blackberry has so many high profile users who are complaining about the crash"
    "Blackberry runs two infrastructures," explained Simon Butler, a Microsoft Exchange consultant at Sembee.

"The understanding I have is that the BIS service has crashed.

"The business side runs on a different set of servers, although enterprise Blackberrys can still use messenger and the consumer services, so they are also affected," said Mr Butler.

Such a major failure will still come as unwelcome news to Blackberry's owner RIM, which has been losing market share to smartphone rivals - in particular Apple's iPhone.

Many corporate clients have switched to the device after Apple made a concerted effort to improve its support for secure business email systems.

Malik Saadi, principal analyst at Informa Telecoms & Media, said RIM would have to resolve the problem quickly.

"The current situation with the Blackberry outages couldn't come at a worse time for RIM, following some harsh criticism in recent months," he said.

Such crashes may lead RIM and others to "re-evaluate their reliance on centralised servers and instead look to investing in more corporately controlled servers", he added.

But he thinks customers will stick with the firm despite current frustrations.

"It will take more than just a couple of collapses to persuade loyal consumers of Blackberry services to look for alternatives," he said.

Many of those complaining about the crash said on Twitter that they could not live without access to BBM.

Megzie<3

Need any Help?
    Feel free to ask

Forum Moderator

My Mood
    Curious
    Thanks

Country
    United-States

My BB (yea, i took the switch. Miss my iPhone :/) will stop receiving emails, then receive a shitload all at once. I really hope they get everything working, and soon!

Gold Member

Thanks

Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    My BB (yea, i took the switch. Miss my iPhone :/) will stop receiving emails, then receive a shitload all at once. I really hope they get everything working, and soon!
    im starting to get a lot of lagg on me blackberry now. i bought a 16gig storage and i have movies, videos and music and stuff. when i go into lets say pictures, it laggs, i click the picture or photo and it takes ages to come up. actually when i go into pictures, they take ages to load before i can click one to look at. once looking, the zoom takes for ever to work.
    another example when im watching a video clip and i fast forwards the clip, it freezes for like 30 seconds sometimes. its never done this before, and i still have around the same amount of music etc since i first got me blackberry. the first 6 months it was fast, just now the phone its self it a lagged out let down.

Ender, how could you go from ipone to blackberry? the new release of the updated iphone 4, i wnt it so bad lol.

Forum Moderator

My Mood
    Curious
    Thanks

Country
    United-States

Quote Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
    Ender, how could you go from ipone to blackberry? the new release of the updated iphone 4, i wnt it so bad lol.
    It's a very long and unfortunate story. iPhone is an amazing system that just can't be beat.

Also, I am experiencing the same issues you mentioned above.

Gold Member

Thanks

Country
    Australia

i must say i love blackberry phones, like if it wasnt playing up i probably wouldnt buy an iphone 4. hmm.

Forum Moderator

My Mood
    Curious
    Thanks

Country
    United-States

I've always had a bit of a lag problem. They are good phones, just need better processors and a few minor software improvements

Gold Member

Thanks

Country
    Australia

spot on with the processor. i think blackberry are more for business people who dont go crazy adding apps, music and videos maybe lol.

Thanks

Country
    Canada

Mine does it too now and then.
    Also, sometimes it powers down before it even gives me the low battery message.

Also, sometimes when it's dead and I plug it in to charge, i have to unplug it and replug it in severa times before the charge button thing lights up.

Im starting to regret getting this phone and I wouldn't have got it in the first place if my HTC Desire could get have gotten a signal at all within 10km of my house.

EDIT: I'm also not one to download a lot of apps and shit.
    I only have 2-3 small ones.

Forum Moderator

My Mood
    Curious
    Thanks

Country
    United-States

Quote Originally Posted by BoYkA View Post
    spot on with the processor. i think blackberry are more for business people who dont go crazy adding apps, music and videos maybe lol.
    I use it mainly for its business features, social networking, and occasionally a little web browsing.