banner

Thread: I need advice

Almost A Newbie

Thanks

Country
    Canada

Default I need advice

So this is the situation:
    I've dating this guy for 3 years now. The first year was incredible, everything was perfect, everyone loved him, couldn't ask for any better. When I was about ready to leave for school, he got nervous and dumped me. I was, like normal, devastated and cried alot over the break up. We only ended up being apart for 2 months, and neither one of us had seen any one else, not even casually (we had been each others firsts and that was important to the both of us). When I actually left for school we talked on the phone and text all the time, and he finally decided to come up to visit me. We talked things through and decided we wanted to take another shot. When my parents found out about this they were furious. They didn't understand why I would get back with someone who hurt me so bad, even when I tried to explain it to them. The next year was rocky, he tried to visit me every weekend even when at times he lived over 6 hours from where I was going to school. My parents were always mad and I wasn't allowed to bring up his name ever. This made things really difficult at times for me. This past summer I moved home for the summer. My parents made a rule that I was forbidden from seeing him. This really hurt me but I made time to see him, and was able to put aside a few hours a week to spend time with him. It's been a great summer so far and we've become closer than ever. He even decided he was going to move to the same city I am going to school in when I move back in September! This past weekend my boyfriend and I were at a party and both ended up getting a little too drunk. Things were going good until a guy started to threaten him and wanted to fight him. The guy finally took a swing and him and my boyfriend tried to defend himself by fighting back. The fight got out of control to the point that my boyfriend was tazered and cuffed and driven home. Being from a small town my cousins all reported back to my parents what happened, instead twisting the story to make it sound like my boyfriend was the one who did the attacking (which he WAS NOT). Now on top of my own struggles about the fight and how I want to handle it and my own confusions, I have to listen to my parents and their ragging about how dangerous and psychotic he is. I feel like they are both making me choose a side and it sucks. I no longer have any idea what to do. Please help.

Almost A Newbie

Thanks

Country
    United-States

you should not be forced to choose a side. you know what kind of person your boyfriend is ! if you love him and your parents dont then tough luck , they dont have to live your life you do & if you make a decision based on your parents you might regret it so just follow your heart. also about what your cousins did--they dont seem like very loyal family members im not judging them but by what you said it just seems like they arent to be trust but they are family so try to talk to them about why they shouldnt have to your parents because it wasnt their business and why it upset you and if that doesnt work, who needs em anyway ! im sure you have tons of other wonderful cousins on other sides of your family !