Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member

Thanks

Country
    Australia

Default How to flawlessly remove background from images.

The pen tool is a very valuable tool found in Adobe Photoshop and is used mostly in vector art. However, it can also be used to create selections, e.g. when you want to remove the background from an image. The pen tool differs from the magic wand or lasso tool in that it allows you to make a more precise, smooth selection which will blend in better with your new background. The pen tool is also very useful in creating smooth curves with little effort. I encourage you to attempt each step as you read through this tutorial as the pen tool can be difficult to get the hang of, and in my experience, the best way to understand the steps properly is to try it for yourself.

1. Finding the Pen Tool: The pen tool icon is located below the solid black arrow, near the T for type tool (See image below).

2. Turning off Fill: I find it easier to fill in my selected area (if I choose to fill it with a colour) when I’ve finished making a selection, rather than as I’m making the selection, as it can obstruct your view of the image you are working with. To turn off this option, select the path only option in the top panel (see image below). If you’re new to the pen tool you might want to do this too.

3. Making a Point: Click and drag anywhere along the edge of your image. You’ll notice that a little square dot will appear with lines extending from it. This square dot is called a point. The lines that extend from the point are called handles. Move these handles by holding ctrl and clicking on their diamond-shaped ends to change the shape of the curve.

4. Working with handles: Make sure the handles of your points are almost parallel with the outline of your image (see first image below). If the outline starts to curve, pull the handle away from the outline. If the curve is wide and not very high, your handle will need to be longer, with a very slight angle (see second image below). If the curve is narrow and high, your handle will need to be shorter with a sharper angle (see third image below). Experiment a bit with the handles and you’ll see what I mean.

If the outline of your image features a sharp turn, e.g. the outline of a building, you will need to place a point around or on the corner of the turn. Before making another point, hold the alt key and click and drag from the point (see image below). This will make the handles of that point behave independently, instead of as one straight line. Continue making points and modifying handles in this way to draw a rough outline around your subject.

5. Modifying the path: Once the selection is completed and the points are joined, they have been closed to make a path. Try to avoid having clusters of points within close proximity of each other, because your selection may end up jagged. When deciding whether a point is needed, consider whether the outline of the object you are tracing around has and curves or sharp turns at or near that point. If not, it’s usually wise to delete it. Delete unnecessary points and use the handles instead. If you click away from the path before the path has been closed, you will need to pick up the path again by ctrl + clicking on either the starting or ending point on the path to continue making the path from that point.

To show the handles of a point, ctrl + click on a point. You can also release the Ctrl button and click on a point to delete it. Do the same thing on a part of the line that does not contain a point to add a point.

6. From Path to Selection: The selection you have created using the pen tool is called a path. Once you are happy with your selection, right-click near the path and select ‘Make selection’.

A dialogue box will pop up, asking you if you want to anti-alias and feather the selection. Always select anti-aliased, as this will subtly blend the edges of your selection with the background. If you want a more gradual blend between background and foreground, put a figure in the ‘feather’ box. Start with a low number, like 3-5 pixels, then try experimenting with different levels of feathering.

7. Removing the Background: To remove the background, either delete it using the del key (be sure to select the inverse of the selection first) or hiding it with a layer mask. I advise you to use a layer mask, as it allows you to reveal parts of the image that you hid later on by simply painting on the mask with a white brush. Now all you have to do is find a background and place it underneath the layer you were working on.

information provided by brookie at livewire

Silver Member

My Mood
    Balanced
    Thanks

Country
    Australia

Default Re: How to flawlessly remove background from images.

still no help for me looks to hard lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It is impossible for any severed individual to experience pain
    Pleasure, memory, dream or thought of any kind
    This young man will be as unfeeling as unthinking as the dead
    Until the day joins them

I don't know weather I'm alive or dreaming or dead or remembering
    How can you tell what's a dream and what's real
    When you can't even tell when your awake and when your asleep
    Where am I?

Kyle.

Nice tutorial, Ministry. D::

Gold Member

Thanks

Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle.
    Nice tutorial, Ministry. D::

lol yeah

Almost A Newbie

Thanks

i wonder how many people here actually OWN photoshop.

considering the price...

Thanks

Amazing difference but nothing I will be trying to do.

Thanks

Country
    White-private

You could just cut the image and then blur over the outline, may not look as good, but it works 99% of the time.

Silver Member

Thanks

Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony
    You could just cut the image and then blur over the outline, may not look as good, but it works 99% of the time.

i have no idea what your talking about
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Im A Super Member

Thanks

Country
    United-States

I never read this and it's still easy

Quote Originally Posted by ty. View Post
    i wonder how many people here actually OWN photoshop.

considering the price...
    If you're smart enough, you know where to get it for free.
    Last edited by Viral Death; 11-12-2010 at 06:08 AM.
    Love is, above all, the gift of oneself.
    -Jean Anouilh

Trae is my brother

Forum Moderator

My Mood
    Curious
    Thanks

Country
    United-States

This, or you could use quick select, inverse the selection, then click delete
    I actually prefer layer masks though, non-destructive way of removing parts of an image. So if your client wants something back you dont have to start over.