Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
banner
    Gold Member

Thanks

Country
    Australia

Myxomatosis

This disease is caused by a Myxoma virus that belongs to the family of pox viruses. The virus originates from South America where it causes a mild disease in the wild rabbit population. However when European rabbits were imported to South America the infection with the myxoma virus resulted in almost 100% mortality of the European rabbits. The European rabbit had been introduced to Australia by early colonists but by the 1950’s the rabbit population was out of control. In an attempt to reduce rabbit numbers the myxoma virus was intentionally introduced to Australia. By accident the virus was also introduced into Europe decimating the wild rabbit population.

The disease occurs in both domestic and wild rabbits but rarely in European hares that seem to have some resistance. The myxoma virus is spread by direct or indirect contact but most often by parasitic vectors. In Europe the rabbit flea and mosquito are the most important methods of spreading the virus. The virus can survive for several months in over wintering rabbit fleas and mosquitoes.

Symptoms

When the Myxoma virus originally infected unexposed European rabbits it produced an acute illness that resulted in 100% mortality. After infection, skin lesions appeared on the 3rd day and had spread every where by the 4th day. The skin lesions are typically swelling of the genitals and of the head, especially the eyelids which results in blindness. The rabbit’s appetite remains normal until shortly before death which is on average 13 days after infection.

In time rabbits developed some immunity to the myxoma virus and the disease process changed in some cases to produce chronic form of Myxomatosis. In this chronic nodular form of Myxomatosis swellings called pseudotumours develop 10-15 days after infection. These lumps are mainly seen on the ears, nose and paws. The lumps or pseudotumours can spontaneously regress leaving scabs which later disappear. Mortality in the chronic nodular form is about 50% with an average survival time of 40days. Chronic Myxomatosis and Spirochaetosis (Rabbit Syphilis) can look very similar but spirochaetosis is extremely rare.

There are other forms of the disease that result in respiratory symptoms that can be very difficult to differentiate from other causes of pneumonia such as pasturellae.

Treatment

Treatment of rabbits suffering with the acute form of the disease is disappointing. Even with excellent nursing from an attentive owner who manages to keep the affected rabbit eating and drinking they often die of breathing complications after 2 weeks. Thus it is more humane to euthanase them once the diagnosis of the acute disease has been made.

Rabbits affected by the chronic nodular form have a 50% chance of the lesions regressing and then survival. In such cases good nursing and the use of antibiotics to control secondary infection may be beneficial.

Control

To control the spread of the disease it is important to do two things:
    • Disinfect the area where the affected rabbit was to kill the virus.
    • Control rabbit fleas and mosquitoes that can spread the virus.
    Care must be taken that the disinfectant used is not harmful to rabbits.

The use of the cat flea control product Advantage® can be useful in controlling rabbit fleas and mosquitoes on rabbits.

Prevention

As there is no effective treatment for so many viral diseases in animals, prevention by vaccination is the best policy. There are many different types of vaccine strategies to control the disease. The most commonly use vaccines consisting of a living virus that dose not cause disease in rabbits but induces cross immunity with the myxoma virus. The virus usually used is the Shope’s fibroma virus which is the active constituent of the Nobivac Myxo® vaccine. This vaccine can be given to rabbits as young as 6 week old and produces immunity 14d after vaccination. Normally rabbits are revaccinated annually but if there is a high risk of infection then revaccination every 6 months is advisable. Vaccinations should not be given within 14 days of viral haemorrhagic disease vaccinations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

All About My Pet Rabbits:

Pet Rabbits

Get Secrets About

Your Pet Rabbits

You Can't Find

Anywhere Else

On The Internet!

Dear Friend:
    If you'd like to learn how to get your pet rabbits to really trust and love you, if you'd like to learn secrets about your pet rabbits that can DOUBLE your pets life, if you'd like to learn how to keep a pet pet rabbits smelling fresh & clean, ...

If you'd like all the little known secrets about health, care, exercise, and how to handle a pet rabbits; if you want to know how to keep multiple pet rabbits, what to feed your pet rabbits, and how to build a stimulating cage or hutch for your pet rabbits, ...

If you want to know how to heck to get your pet rabbits to use the litter box like a cat (your pet rabbits can do that!), all the key differences between male and female pet rabbits, and what to teach your children ...

Even if you've just plain got pet rabbits on your brain like I do, ... you'll be thrilled that you landed on this pet rabbits site because, when you sign up for my FREE "All About Your pet rabbits" newsletter, you'll learn everything you need to know about pet rabbits all in one place!

Learn everything you need to know about your pet rabbits with my FREE All About Your Pet Rabbits Newsletter!

Complete the form below and instantly discover...

How To Get Your Pet Rabbits To Really Trust And Love You!

Secrets Which Can DOUBLE Your

Pet Rabbits's Life!

How To Keep Your Pet Rabbits Fresh,

Clean, And Sweet Smelling!

Little Known Secrets About Pet Rabbits

Health, Care, Exercise, and Handling!

How To Litter Train Your Pet Rabbits!

Much, Much More Information About Your Pet Rabbits! (see below)

FREE Newsletter Signup

Please Choose I am considering getting a rabbit. I own a rabbit and need care tips. I want rabbit info for my child. I want to breed or show my rabbit.

Of course, your email will remain completely and totally private!

Additional information you'll learn in the newsletter ...

• How To Keep Multiple Pet Rabbits
    • How To Build Stimulating Cages And Hutches, Step By Step
    • Everything a Pet Rabbits Can Eat, Wants To Eat, And Needs To Eat
    • Where To Get Or Make Dozens Of Fun Toys for Your Pet Rabbits
    • The Important Differences Between Male And Female Pet Rabbits
    • What You Need To Teach Your Children About Your Pet Rabbits
    • How To Make Responsible Decisions About Breeding Pet Rabbits
    • All About Pet Rabbits Care

"Dear Jessica,
    Thank you very much for all the newsletters that you have been sending, I bought your pet rabbits Secret books and also the audio and I find them very helpful. I lived here in Kissimmee, Florida and my name is Violeta Zeumer. I am new to Bunnies, I have two chinchillas too. Right now I have 5 dwarf bunnies, two of them are dwarf Hotot. 2 Netherland Dwarf and a Dutch. Attached herewith is their pictures.

Violetta,

Kissimee, FL

"Love the tips & info about the love and care of my bunny Merry. . She has toys and treats and goes outside to play - where she has started digging a little burrow. Without all of your info and input she probably would have been just another "hutch bunny" outside and un-socialized, and we never would have found out how much fun Bunnies are and how smart and funny and playful they are. EVERYONE with a pet rabbits should know this information! "

Katrina Hill

Ossipee, NH

"Hi there! I would like to say I am so glad that I signed up for these brilliant news letters as they have helped my understand pet rabbits more. I signed up as soon as I saw the website and I hope to here more about this website and pet rabbits Thank you for all the e-mails"
    Luv Danielle from Hull

"Dear Jessica and bunnies, My name is Sandi from Stillwater,Pa.and I've been receiving pet rabbits secrets for about two weeks now and my children and I love it and find it to be very helpful and exciting and I think our little bunnies enjoy it most with all the extra love and attention that we give knowing about more of their body language. Thanks a bunch for all your help and time."
    Sandi Muffley

Click Here To Get Your Free Pet Rabbits Secrets Newsletter Now!

"I just wanted to say that I love the pet rabbits newsletters! I got my bunny Rita (who's a boy, it's a long story LOL) last fall and subscribed to this newsletter shortly after. I've not regretted it once! It contained a lot of useful information for me as a new owner. Thanks for all the help! I've attached two pictures of Rita that you can feel free to use. "

- Traci Sexton, Maybeury, WV

I love your newsletters. I check my email daily just to see if I've got a new one! My favorite newsletter was the one suggesting names for a pet rabbits. My friend had just gotten a new one (a black Holland Lop), and I let her read the newsletter. She fell in love with the name Binky. Thanks a bunch!"

"Hi there. It's great to have a bunny lover like you out there. We all need to take the best care of our little friends. I think your newsletter is a great way to help with tips to longtime bunny owners as well as newcomers to the wonderful world of bunnies! I encourage everyone to sign up for the newsletter, you will be glad you did! I am. It's fast and easy too. Keep up the great work and give your bunnies a hug for me."

Jay Cain

Fort Collins, CO

"MY NAME IS BETH LEVY I LIVE IN BROOKLYN NEW YORK I TOTALLY LOVE RECEIVING YOUR NEWS LETTERS AS I WAS A BEGINNER WITH pet rabbits AND YOUR LETTERS HELPED ME UNDERSTAND SOME OF THE THINGS THAT MY pet rabbits DOES AND WHY. ....HERE IS A PICTURE WHEN I FIRST GOT MY PRECIOUS.. "

Beth Levy,

Brooklyn, NY

"Hi, I get the pet rabbits secrets but I'm happy to recommend them, plz find attached pics of 2 of my bunnies, the white ones barney n the cute ones glitter, I signed up for the pet rabbits secrets and have found the tips and ideas really enlightening plus my pet rabbits have benefited to, which keeps them happy as well. if you have a pet rabbits or guinea pig I'd definitely recommend signing up now."

Amanda Duckett from Manchester, UK

"I love the pet rabbits secrets newsletter! I have enjoyed reading them and laughing out loud at the stories that remind me of my own precious pet pet rabbits. I have certainly learned a lot about my pet rabbits that I didn't know. Thank you for your newsletter!"

Patti B. Ogden

We can't wait to see what pet rabbits secret will come next and we have learned some really very useful tips about looking after our precious bunny which have helped us to help him be as happy and healthy as he can be! Thank you for all your special bunny secrets x x"
    Catherine Anne

"My name is Muna, I live in the United Kingdom, London. I have 2 bunnies that I recently got so I was new to the game. When I signed up to pet rabbits secrets I never imagined there to be so much to learn.

I am extremely pleased about signing up, the information I have received so far as been absolutely fabulous. There's so much to know about pet rabbits which I never thought about or even knew of until I started receiving such great informative and very interesting knowledge.

It's nice to know that someone actually cares so very much about the fragile little things. I got my bunnies when they were tiny and just watching them grow up and having that extra help on the side through pet rabbits secrets really helped me."

Here is a picture of one of my pet rabbits, lionhead doe called Nala!

Muna Nagi

"Dear Jessica and the Bunnies

The newsletters have been great - very helpful and informative but written in a friendly "chatty" style which is easy to comprehend. There have been many tips which I have put into practice such as alleviating bunny boredom and feeding my pet rabbits correctly. It has also been useful to receive links to sites that sell pet rabbits products online and I intend purchasing the toys you recently emailed me about.

I wasn't at all hesitant to sign up as although it's clear that the emails are a selling tool for the book and audio recordings, there is no pressure to buy.

I am the proud first-time owner of two female pet rabbits, Angel and Honey, who are chalk and cheese in character, each of them having their own likes and dislikes and unique quirks. I am delighted to attach photos of each of them.

Best wishes with the new products."

Sharon, Glasgow

"I really do enjoy receiving your newsletters; there is no such thing as to much bunny information. We have a beautiful little bunny that was dumped, wander into our yard two years ago, and it's been 2 years of absolute joy. Ralph is now the most loved house bunny ever, so when I heard about the pet rabbits Secret Book I was quick to purchase, it's good to know we are doing the right thing by him and that all the weird and wonderful things that he does means he's a very happy boy."

Warm regards

Lynette

Sydney Australia

"I love your newsletters all the tips and advice are invaluable. It's amazing how the little tips you give can make such a big difference. Most people we meet don't believe how special a pet rabbits as a pet can be as we all know they have their own personalities, each pet rabbits is an individual and likes different things, your newsletter is FANTASTIC!!"

Cheers Renee & Mat -Australia.

& Ziggy, Guinee Gee, Montee & Spazee

" Hello, I really have been enjoying the newsletters about bunnies, they have been very informative and helpful. I am glad I signed up for it and I would highly recommend it to anyone and here is a picture of our bunny Chocolate."
    Kerry

Warwick, RI

"Hi I am writing to say that I do very much enjoy these newsletters. I have started receiving them about a week ago when we got our pet rabbits and they have been very helpful. They have let me know a lot about what my pet rabbits does and why he does it. I thank you for these letters and will continue to enjoy them."

Julie from Grafton, Wisconsin

p.s. I attached a picture of my pet rabbits.

his name is thumper

"Hi Glenn, I do not get the pet rabbits news letters, however I do get the pet rabbits secrets. I like them because they are very informative, they give you a lot of very good advice on numerous subject.

Yes I was a little hesitant to sign up, as I usually don't like giving my email address to people I don't know.

However I feel very differently now after receiving all the info and corresponding with Glenn.

I look forward to hearing from you.."

Susan Spanes

Ajax, Ontario.

Learn How To Raise A Sweet Smelling, Lovable, Playful Pet Rabbits Who'll Bring Years And Years Of Joy To Your Household!

Sincerely,

Jessica Harrison

(The Pet pet rabbits Book Gal)

P.S. If you're pretty darn sure that you know everything there is to know about your Pet Rabbits then there's no reason for you to sign up. But for the 99% of us who are enthralled by this amazing animal - don't you really owe it to yourself to join our Amazing FREE Pet Rabbits Newsletter now!

Silver Member

My Mood
    Balanced
    Thanks

Country
    Australia

Myxo is spreading like wildfire all of a sudden here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It is impossible for any severed individual to experience pain
    Pleasure, memory, dream or thought of any kind
    This young man will be as unfeeling as unthinking as the dead
    Until the day joins them