ARG, they are passing a bill that is absolutely and clearly ageism, I won't explain them to you, I just wrote a letter to our provincial representative. I am posting it here for you.

Quote:

Dear Mr. McGuinty

I am a 19-year-old woman and G2 class driver and I would like to voice some opinions on the new bills to be passed for young/inexperienced drivers. I can see why the government is looking to implement something more efficient and safe in terms of teen driving laws, however I fail to see the logic in the bills that are going to be passed.

For one thing, the blatant ageism is really bothering me. According to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, in section 15, it clearly says “

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

(2) Subsection (1) does not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups including those that are disadvantaged because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability

Subsection 2 of section 15, in my understanding, means that you cannot be discriminated against because of many reasons, one of them being your age. The new bills that are being passed are specifically related to age. I fail to see how that is not ageism when the law is aimed at and directly affects a specific age group.

I cannot agree with the statement that these changes to our graduated licensing system are only “modest restrictions,” specifically regarding the zero tolerance with regards to alcohol for anyone under 21. I volunteer with a fairly well known organization of older people and I work in fairly close proximity with them. At the functions where I have been in attendance, there has been many a time when I have seen quite a few more than one or two folks leave with little left of their sobriety. The zero tolerance law in relation to new drivers and anyone under 21 is unfair and unjust. If any zero tolerance with regards to alcohol law is to be passed it should blanket all drivers, of all ages to be fair.

Being a younger driver and falling under the under 21 age group, I have trouble with the fact that I can no longer driver my coworkers to work, or my sister and her friends to school, even though I only work 20 minutes away from my home, and my sister goes to school 10 minutes away from her house. I also fail to see how having a more than one teenaged passenger can be more of a distraction than drinking a cup of hot coffee, or having an unhappy baby or unruly toddler in the backseat. Even having a heated argument with your spouse can distract you enough from your driving to cause an accident.

I simply cannot agree that limiting a driver’s ability to have passengers is going to be better for our roads. If we cannot carpool; and are we not the same age group that you are trying to impress the benefits of green living on, then we must get a car, and that ultimately means more cars on the road, more greenhouse gases, more pollution and a higher car/accident ratio.

I think that the government is on the right track with the idea that there are changes to be made, however I am strongly against the current motion put forth by the Liberal party. I believe amendments are in order and until the ageism is stopped, I will not be supporting the Liberal Party, or any campaigns to help further these bills.

Yours Truly

Brittney Fulton

Barrie Ontario Canada

[/B]